gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

April 23, 2014, 10:27:28 PM
gfxgfx

gfx* Home Forum Home Releases BitTorrent Tracker Contact Us xDCC Bot Listing Help Login Registergfx
Anime-Kraze.org  |  Main Boards  |  General Chat (Moderator: uLTraCarL-)  |  2008 Olympics « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 2008 Olympics  (Read 3639 times)
LazyWulfran
Destroyer of Post Counts
Global Moderator
.: Kraze Super Elite :.

Remember, I wield the Banhammer

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 11:59:45 PM »

Why is the writing on the Japanese softball team's uniforms in English?  Just something I noticed (again, it happened to be on when I came home from work).

skibba
.: Kraze Starter :.

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »

Ended watching olympics when Polish valleyball and handball teams dropped off in quaterfinals. They played good games but lacked concetration and thus the loss. well, shit happens but I was hoping for much more after the good play they showed in group matches. In general , Olympics are dominated by the Chinese (no wonder) but I read somewhere that two of their gymnastic players are actually younger then the regulation permits. Wonder if it's true:)

Anybody watched Usain Bolt beating the WR for 100m?? It was quite the show:) especially when he run last 10-20m with arms wide open to show who's the man there:)
Macabre
Global Moderator

Leader of Exiles

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 06:35:16 PM »

Anybody watched Usain Bolt beating the WR for 100m?? It was quite the show:) especially when he run last 10-20m with arms wide open to show who's the man there:)

if he truly wanted to be remembered and show that he is the man, he should have pushed his hardest to set a record nobody could beat so they could talk about him for many olympics to come.

Instead he will be forgoten by most people in a year and they will probably only mention him at the olympics until his record is beat then he will truly be forgotten.

Antics are remembered only for so long, a record is far more permanent and a really tough record is legendary in sports..

skibba
.: Kraze Starter :.

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 01:29:16 AM »

I think he will be remembered on Jamaica forever since he is the very first Olympic Champion for this country.

He also won 200m with the new WR so I think that he will be a serious player in the years to come. As for his start to 100m, after the run he said that did that because he could see that he would win this race and he was just very happy. BTW, why beat WR for couples of seconds more (and not be albe to beat for next 5 years or so) when you can beat it, say next year and get some more money (the very same thing that Isinbajeva does - beats her own WR for 1cm on almost every major competition).
Macabre
Global Moderator

Leader of Exiles

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 04:55:40 PM »

assuming you don't have an accident or injury in the meantime. runners and other athletes' bodies wear out quickly.

there are many yearly races but the olympics is only once every 4 years. The laymen watch the olympics not the routine races.  There are many people who this is their first as well as last olympic chance, to keep yourself in top shape for 4 years, age catches up and new people emerge to replace you.

he may have been happy, but just shows me his personality, which is show boating.

ScReWLoOsE
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 06:57:31 AM »

Done. Complete. Finito. Over. Caput.

18 days of heroics, whining, temper tantrums, show boating, false accusations, and pointing fingers are finally over.

The final medal count:
                                                                     G    S    B
1  CHN - China                                         51  21  28   
2  USA - United States                            36  38  36   
3  RUS - Russian Fed.                           23  21  28   
4  GBR - Great Britain                             19  13  15   
5  GER - Germany                                   16  10  15 
6  AUS - Australia                                     14  15  17 
7  KOR - Korea                                          13  10  8 
8  JPN - Japan                                            9    6   10   
9  ITA - Italy                                                   8  10  10   
10  FRA - France                                         7  16  17 
11  UKR - Ukraine                                      7    5   15   
12  NED - Netherlands                              7    5     4   
13  JAM - Jamaica                                       6    3     2 
14  ESP - Spain                                           5   10    3   
15  KEN - Kenya                                          5     5     4   

Bunch of other countries won medals, some with significant numbers, but I'm not going to comb through the entire roster and I'm not posting onesies and twosies. Besides, most people only care about the total number of gold medals won; everything else they consider an honorable mention only.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:05:06 AM by ScReWLoOsE » Logged

HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools. —Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
Macabre
Global Moderator

Leader of Exiles

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 09:41:42 AM »

Besides, most people only care about the total number of gold medals won; everything else they consider an honorable mention only.

Actually, this olympics, the American media focused on total medal count not gold. A few commentators argued about this.  (trying to make American's feel good about being bitch slapped by China and the clamor about the gymnast ages)

full medal count for anyone curious (can click on country and such and see what events they won in)

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:49:29 AM by Macabre » Logged

probely
Bonerphone
.: Kraze Veteran :.

I Speed At Night

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 06:54:37 AM »

I think nytimes has a prettier medal count setup http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/08/04/sports/olympics/20080804_MEDALCOUNT_MAP.html
Chococat
Chocolate-coloured nose cat
Global Moderator

I R Cute

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »

And sorted by total count... isn't that nice of them.

Jonosono

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »

I found interesting that the US really were the big winners in 1904.

Anime-Kraze.org  |  Main Boards  |  General Chat (Moderator: uLTraCarL-)  |  2008 Olympics « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to: